Many healthcare companies are benefiting from ageing populations and an increasing incidence of chronic illness. In addition, in most developed economies, such as Australia, consumers are becoming more and more interested and willing to invest in preventative healthcare and wellness services. However, whilst the overall healthcare market is growing, many healthcare companies are wrestling with the challenge of expenses growing at a faster rate than revenue due to a shortage of nurses and specialised practitioners, and rapidly increasing technology costs.
PIP consultants have completed commercial due diligence and business improvement engagements in a range of healthcare segments, including IVF clinics, medical centres, overnight hospitals, day hospitals, aged care, dental practices and radiology practices. A number of our consultants have managed healthcare companies so we can bring significant hands-on operating experience to healthcare engagements.
Companies across the healthcare industry recognise they need to deliver greater value - higher quality of care at a lower cost. This pressure is driven by government and health insurer budget constraints and compounded by the demands of consumers, employers, and providers. The result is that all sectors in the healthcare industry must take action to address growing cost pressures:
- Hospitals must lead the charge in delivering better-quality care at a lower cost.
- Pharmaceutical manufacturers need to ensure that their products demonstrate measurable cost advantages and quality outcomes in the face of unsustainable expenditure increases by health departments.
- Medical technology companies need to ensure that they remain innovative whilst ensuring that they are investing in new capabilities that will make a real, cost-effective difference to quality of life and healthcare outcomes.
At PIP, our capabilities and expertise within the healthcare sector include:
- Commercial due diligence
- Assessing and implementing operations improvement
- Turnaround and sell
- Post-merger integration
Examples of what we have helped our clients achieve:
- Improved productivity: 100% increase in appointments from sales calls and 4% increase in front line productivity for a specialist service delivery business.
- Improved service delivery: 85% reduction in client waiting times and significant improvements in doctor time utilisation at third world clinic.
- Improved profitability: 21% profit improvement pipeline and organisational restructure including governance structures and defined accountabilities for a medical group.
- Commercial Due Diligence: Helped key investors to rapidly analyse the operational structure and market influences of target investments and delivering opportunity and risk recommendations.
PIP did a great job at restructuring the business and helping us to sell it successfully. It went really well. [PIP] really helped us deliver a bunch of improvements very quickly. (These also helped us to maintain momentum for the sale.) [PIP] ensured we were on the front foot the whole time. Everyone also enjoyed working with them.